thered99.com

Sport

Bust: Former 3rd overall pick Jordan released by Dolphins

Share

However, the veteran safety must first serve an eight-game suspension due to a violation of the NFL's substance abuse policy.

The signing of McDonald is fascinating because he is going to be suspended by the National Football League for eight games following driving under the influence and drug charges last May. McDonald pleaded no contest to a lesser charge in January.

"For me, definitely this is something that will never happen again", McDonald said on a conference call Friday.

A former third-round pick of the St. Louis, McDonald played four years with the organization, including moving with them last year to become the Los Angeles Rams. McDonald to a one-year deal.

Although McDonald will not be active until midseason, the Dolphins need depth at safety opposite former Pro Bowler Reshad Jones, who recently signed a $60 million extension. But, the Dolphins will have to wait until later in the season to find out if he can. He said he's glad he'll be able to take part in offseason team activities, training camp and preseason games before beginning his suspension.

"My mind-set is just to come in and compete and do everything I can to help this team", McDonald said, via the Dolphins' team website. Hopefully whatever was going on in his life that cause the DUI is behind him and that he's able to get back on the field permanently. "It's all about ball for me right now". He started every game previous year and said it was hard being a free agent with the suspension looming. He has career totals of 281 tackles (216 solo), five sacks, four interceptions, 17 passes defensed, one forced fumble and two fumble recoveries.

Share