thered99.com

Worldwide

Xenophobic Attacks: Muntaka rallies support for boycott of South African goods

Share
Protest Nigerians in South Africa demand end to xenophobia

Youths and members of the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) yesterday protested in Abuja against the xenophobic attacks on Nigerians in South Africa.

He said citizens can not co-exist with crime, criminals - whether they are South Africans or foreign nationals - must be dealt with harshly but within the ambit of the law.

"I am married to a South African woman and wake up every morning to provide for my wife and my children", he explained.

According to Ghana's Foreign Affairs Ministry, no Ghanaian has been killed in the attacks in the rainbow nation so far.

President Jacob Zuma of South Africa has released a statement, condemning the acts of violence on non-nationals in the country.

So far, no deaths have been reported-let's hope that a productive solution is reached before the situation becomes even more dire. "Africa is for Africans".

Citing the latest incidents which occurred on February 5, 2017 in Rosettenville, a suburb of Johannesburg and on February 18, 2017 in Pretoria West, it said the attacks involved not only Nigerians but other nationals which resulted in arson, looting, and displacement of families.

"The security cluster has been instructed to ensure that these matters are resolved to the satisfaction of South Africans and foreign nationals in the communities bringing about better policing between communities and authorities".

Migrants in South Africa are left politically powerless, beholden to willing police commanders, local councilors or non-governmental organizations who will take their case.

It is estimated that there are at least 800,000 Nigerians in South Africa, with the majority of them living in Johannesburg, South Africa's capital.

Tensions have heightened in that country following a group calling itself Mamelodi Concerned Residents' notice of organizing a march today, Friday, in protest of what it said was foreigners taking over their businesses.

"We want them to leave. our country".

Earlier, Sani had expressed concern over recurring xenophobic attacks on Nigerians in South Africa.

He urged the South African government to take up its responsibility of securing live and properties within its borders.

At least 67 foreigners were reportedly killed between 2000 and 2007 in what was described by worldwide media as xenophobic attacks.

Attacks against foreigners have resurfaced in South Africa, with nationals from Ghana, Nigeria, Ghana, Zimbabwe among others being made targets, on the grounds that they have taken over jobs meant for South African citizens. Adebayo Shittu, Nigeria's communications minister, told the Financial Times last week: "I would be.irresponsible as a minister if MTN is scared away".

Others say criminals have been fanning the unrest to loot and steal.

Share